Welcome to The Rachel Kurzyp Show.
Today I want to show you how to create your key messages because I know from conversations we’ve been having that you’re feeling called to do this work.
There’s a lot of pressure right now to stand out especially online as more and more businesses are using social media to connect with their dream clients. If you want to learn some other ways you can increase your visibility outside of social media, go back and listen to episode 72.
And while the online space feels really noisy, I’m not worried and you shouldn’t be either.
Because while other businesses are competing over income claims, sharing the same-outdated content, and rebranding to look like a magazine cover, you have the opportunity to meet your clients where they’re at.
Then show them that you’re the person who sees their humanity and can get them the business results they desire.
It’s never been easier to stand out online for all the right reasons.
So If you’re ready to tell your dream clients that you care and are doing things differently, this episode is for you.
Before we dive into creating your unique messaging, let’s first clarify what key messages are.
Key messages are the 5-7 pieces of information you want your dream clients to hear, understand and remember. Think of them as bite-sized 1-2-line summaries that share who you are, what you do, how you’re different and how you help your dream clients.
Key messages help you to prioritize and define what information is the most important for your dream clients to know so you can establish the know, like and trust factor. They make it easier to share the same information again and again because remember people need to hear us say the same thing 20-40 times before they are comfortable to buy. And they allow you to measure what content is working and what isn’t.
Key messages form the foundation of your branding and content marketing efforts and when they’re done right, not only do they help you attract and invite your dream clients to work with you, they will help you feel good about showing up because you’ll be able to talk about your business in a way that reflects your values, language and style.
Here are a few of my key messages.
- I teach multi-passionates how to show up, serve and sell in a way that feels good to them.
- I’ve helped over 3,000 creative entrepreneurs connect with their dream clients, launch life-changing offers, and claim their expertise.
- Nothing makes me happier than working 1:1 with my clients and witnessing the incredible transformations and success they create for themselves and the positive impact this has on their families, clients and communities.
- It is possible to become a booked out business and expert in your niche without choosing between your passions, compromising your values to make money, and using unethical tactics to gain financial freedom.
Now you know what key messages are, I want to share what they aren’t because there is a lot of misinformation about key messages in the online business space.
Key messages aren’t the same as taglines.
A tagline is a short, memorable phrase used in marketing campaigns to convey the overall essence of a business. Taglines you might know are “I’m lovin’ it” from McDonalds or “Just do it” for Nike. They can be used on their own and still make sense.
My tagline for a while was work less, create more.
Key messages focus on unique and important information you want your dream clients to learn overtime about your business. These can change as your business grows and aren’t used as stand alone pieces of content.
I see many of my clients and community struggling to create and use key messages because they are trying to come up with taglines instead.
Taglines often employ copywriting techniques like alliteration and 3-word phrases. The focus is often on being clever over clear and memorable over functional. Basically the opposite of what we want when we’re creating effective key messages.
Your key messages need to be:
- Believable and backed up by evidence for example qualifications, testimonials, awards and so on.
- Easy to understand and free of industry jargon and acronyms.
- Positive statements with active language.
- And purposeful by showing who you are, what you do and how you help your dream clients.
Creating your key messages doesn’t have to be a complicated and lengthy process either. Here’s my three step process for creating unique messaging that makes you stand out for all the right reasons.
Step 1 is to brainstorm
I want you to get out your business goals, purpose statement, unique skillsets and leadership work to guide you as you answer these questions.
- What do you need your key messages to do? How will they help you grow your audience, make more sales or become an expert in your niche?
- How can you highlight how you and your business are different from your competitors? What result do you get from your dream clients?
- What does your business stand for and why?
Step 2 is to create
- Craft 5-7 key brand messages that you can use across all your content (you can create ones specific to your services and products too if you want).
- Do a quick search on Google and socials to make sure your exact key messages aren’t exactly the same as your competitors. I see this happening a lot. If they are, refocus them to highlight your why and unique strengths and skillsets.
Step 3 is to test
- Once you’ve developed your messages, it’s time to test them out. Work the messages into your content and conversations with your dream clients.
- Make note of how people react. Keep the messages that are working well and refine the ones that don’t get the same response. The more you say and use them the clearer you’ll be on what it is you exactly want to say.
So there you have it, my go-to process for creating unique messaging in a noisy online space.
If you know you’re great at what you do and can transform your dream clients’ businesses but aren’t sure how to use your key messages in your content, I’ve created something just for you.
I’ll be running a live workshop on Thursday the 28th of April designed to help you master your messaging so you can stand out for all the right reasons.
Over 90-minutes, you’ll learn how to connect, lead and make a difference with courageous and purpose-led messaging so you can get the opportunities clients, cash you’ve been calling in for 2022.
You’ll walk away with the tools, insights and strategies you need to show up, serve and sell in a way that feels right for you.
If this sounds like what you need right now, then I’d love to support you. Click here to save your seat.
Thanks so much for tuning into today’s episode.
If you’ve found what I’ve shared valuable please leave a review and hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss when a new episode drops every Wednesday.